Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 8

    Sunny day in the Rockies

    July 4, 2018 in Canada ⋅ ⛅ 20 °C

    Today it is time to have my stitches out. Falling over an cutting my arm the day before we started our holidays was not very smart. However, Mary is an excellent nurse. The doctor had given her the tools to cut the stitches and re-bandage and she did it will aplomb. I felt a little faint - shouldn't have watched her doing it. But all is well and the wounds have healed beautifully.

    Being a beautiful day the queue for the gondola ride was going to be long. I offered to stand in line while Mary went shopping for a hat - she didn't fine one. Anyway our plan worked okay and in no time we were on our way to the top of the mountain.

    The views on the way up were brilliant, when we arrive we immediately went on the peak to peak ride. Once again the views were magnificent. We stopped for only a while as I wanted to going further up the mountain on another chair lift - the Peak Express - but the queue was extra long and so by the time I got back to the first mountain the other lift was closed - very disappointed.

    Whistler Village is only about 600 meters above sea level, but the first ski lift takes you up a further 1200 meters - both Mary and I realised after a while that the elevation, when you are walking around and climbing rocks, did have an effect on our breathing and general wellbeing. Not enough to stop us, but enough to make us fell a little unwell. However, we survived.

    On the way down we saw several bears, albeit in the distance - but at least we could say that we have seen bears in the wild!

    We used our $25 voucher form the hotel for a snack while the others went on a canoe safari - we stayed dry and spent some time solving the worlds problems with Roger.

    Tomorrow we fly to Calgary - should be a good day.

    Cheers
    Read more