Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 12

    A day in Jaipur

    February 27, 2023 in India ⋅ 🌙 20 °C

    Known as the “pink city” Jaipur was built by the Maharajah of Jaipur in 1727. He built it in 7 equal-sized blocks of equal height so that equal light comes in and there are 7 city gates.

    Over the course of history, the maharajahs became adept at dealing with their different invaders and would-be rulers, surviving with differing degrees of success, the coming of the Moghuls, the Muslims and the British. Indeed, in 1876 the then Prince of Wales was welcomed to Jaipur and the buildings painted the famous “pink” in his honour (although in reality they are a sort of red/ terracotta). Many forts and palaces were built by them over time and in 1947 the new Indian Government allowed the maharajas to keep their possessions and conduct their business, even giving them a pension of sorts, provided they did not try and enter politics and contest elections.

    Later on, when Indira Ghandi was in power, some did form new political parties and bid for power so Mrs Ghandi decreed that the government would take their palaces and stop their pensions. This is why many properties belonging to former maharajahs were turned into hotels or museums. The more powerful ones survived, including the Maharajah of Jaipur. Today the government allow the maharajahs to use their titles ( even though they are not supposed to, it turns a blind eye) as it’s good for tourism but they have no power now and pay their taxes like everyone else. Jaipur is now a World Heritage City and is famous for textiles, block-printing, gemstones and jewellery.

    Leaving the hotel we travelled through and out of the city up to the iconic Amber Fort, one of 800 forts built over time. Perched high up on the hillside ( named after the goddess Ambe) it cannot be accessed by coaches so we all piled into the waiting jeeps and shot up there at break-neck speed. Prior to this, on leaving the coach, I had paused to take a photo not realising a snake charmer was in the foreground of my photo and who then began to wave his hand at me (wanting ££ for the privilege). Ted saw him and this charmer ( forgive the pun) apparently popped the cobra back in his basket and made as if to come after me! On hearing this from Ted I quickly legged it into the jeep at top speed, nervously looking over my shoulder and couldn’t wait until we were safely up at the Fort! Looking at the pics, yes he is there but no 🐍 visible!!!!!

    Raj told us all the history of the Fort and previous occupants and we were given time to wander about. Some people got up there by elephant ( health of which is rigorously controlled now). We also saw several engaged couples having their pre-wedding shoots plus videos. Raj says this is a nuisance! Apparently some take out loans for them. They looked splendid in their outfits. Some equally splendid views were obtained then all too soon it was back in the jeeps to the bus. Onward to a textile outlet with demonstrations of block printing and carpet making. We had some samosas and sandwiches here, plus drinks which sufficed for lunch, had the carpet demo, browsed the wares and bought a thing or two!

    Onward to the City Palace-an ex maharajah’s domain, now a palace. Plenty of things to look at here but soooo hot! Then to the Jantar Mantar which was a display of all the old astronomical techniques which informed thinking back in the day. Astronomy was very important in yesteryear as maharajahs decided their war tactics and indeed young couples decided whether or not they were suited by consulting the astronomer!

    From here the plan was to drop us off at a shopping bazaar but, we were all a bit jaded, Phil did take a vote and all but one couple opted to go back to the hotel, missing out the gem factory and more shopping. So this we did and were in time to get a swim in this hotel’s lovely pool
    Read more