Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 11

    Ranthambore to Jaipur

    February 26, 2023 in India ⋅ ⛅ 21 °C

    There was another tiger spotting venture at 6.30 am today but we decided to sack that off in favour of a lie- in, swim and relaxation by the pool. Bags had to be put outside the door by 11.30 am then a quick photo shoot around the hotel, visit to the shop and in the coach by 12.15.

    The scenery along the way was very much the same as on the way to Ranthambore with the odd ramshackle houses and shops, cows wandering along, cars, trucks and other vehicles vying for places. Raj told us that the houses seen out in the countryside and villages are those of the farm workers and all have running water, electricity and the children have access to schooling. The people who live in the slums around the cities are refugees, he said, from neighbouring Afghanistan, Myanmar, Nepal, Sri Lanka and other countries but especially from Bangladesh, which is a big problem. In Mumbai (population 24 millions) he said half the population (12 million) are slum dwellers, which seemed very shocking. We stopped for the pack lunches by 1.30 pm then more or less straight to Jaipur, the capital of Rajasthan. Another ITC hotel which is very palatial but good restaurant and service better than at Agra.

    Rooms were allocated quickly then it was back out for a 20 minute drive to a Hindu temple to see the evening fire ceremony at 6 pm. Raj had told us earlier in the day that the Hindu religion is not particularly demanding, it being more important to be a good husband, father, son, brother etc ( and the equivalent for women) than attend the temple. There are no holy days. We all had to put our shoes in a large bag then enter bare footed. There were large numbers of Indian people and we looked around the outside before gathering in the large hall where the ceremony started promptly at 6. Two richly red and gold decorated figures were on show with a couple of men waving lit 🔥 about accompanied by Indian music. The majority of the audience clapped and were pleased to receive some ? Holy water periodically sprayed over them from the front. Everyone was quite excited to be there and all faiths welcome but no pics to be taken in the hall. Outside again we offered to take a photo of an Indian family then the wife wanted a selfie with me- getting used to this now! Then we went then to collect our shoes, a young Indian man asked me and another female group member for a video of us talking to him…this is new…. and returned to the bus then it was back to the hotel for dinner.
    Read more