Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    Castillo de Chapultepec

    January 12 in Mexico ⋅ ☀️ 14 °C

    Easy day today. Healthy brunch at Camino A Comala in Condesa and then a walk through Chapultepec park to the castle.

    The castle wasn't much to look at from the outside but the inside was a museum full of fancy decor, stained glass and art work. The first part that I visited is known as the Alcazar and shows rooms, jewelry, paintings and other objects from the times of Emperor Maximilian I and Carlota during the second Mexican Empire (1864-67) and of President Díaz (1876-1911). From the terrace looking east you can look down Reforma avenue towards El Ángel de la independencia. The highlight of this part of the castle was a series of stained glass windows from around 1900 that depict five Roman goddesses - Pomona, Flora, Hebe, Diana and Ceres.

    The second part is filled with art exhibits with some incredible mural paintings from the 20th century. These include El Retablo de la Independencia by Juan O'Gorman. Outside there is a beautiful garden surrounded by trees. There was also a stage where dances were practicing for a performance.

    Afterwards I met Joanne (staying at the same hostel) and we went for a late lunch at Monstruo de Agua. We shared plates, the best of which was mole with plantain. We then went to Joe's Gelato for Ice-cream, I had guava and ginger and chocolate hazelnut. Now back at the hostel for an early night.
    Read more