Satellite
  • Day 24

    Wat Nokor

    September 13, 2018 in Cambodia ⋅ 🌧 25 °C

    The monument is built out of sandstone and laterite and dates from the last years of the reign of Jayavarman VII in the 12th Century.

    It is composed of a central tower surrounded by four laterite wall enclosures. The central tower of the temple of Vat Nokor is decorated with motifs characteristic of Bayon with Buddhist scenes on the pediments.

    The temple complex is believed to have been the headquarters of Jayavarman VII for a time from where he extended his influence over nearby principalities.

    It has a number of distinguishing characteristics other than the fact that it is the largest ancient temple complex in Kampong Cham Province. One of these characteristics is the fact that it is built of black sandstone which causes it to stand out from other temples of the period which are often built of brick or reddish sandstone.

    Wat Nokor Bache boasts a 'Chartres' effect in which a more modern temple of a very different style has been built over and around the original Angkorian structure creating a blend of architectural styles.

    This Temple was incredible, we cannot wait to be in Angkor Wat if this is an example of the temples we are going to see.
    Read more