Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 24

    Holy Twin Mountain

    September 13, 2018 in Cambodia ⋅ 🌧 26 °C

    The Holy Twin Mountain Phnom Kulen has major symbolic importance for Cambodia as the birthplace of the ancient Khmer Empire, for it was at Phnom Kulen that King Jayavarma II proclaimed independence from Java in 804 CE.

    Jayavarman II initiated the Devaraja cult of the king a linga cult (is an abstract or iconic representation of the Hindu deity Shiva, used for worship in temples, smaller shrines, or as self manifested natural objects)

    Phnom Kulen was further developed under the rule of Udayadityavarman II who made it the capital of his empire and constructed many temples and residences as well as the 1000 Lingas at Kbal Spean.

    At its peak the Kulen development was larger than modern day Phnom Penh and one of the largest cities in the 11th-century world. It would later be eclipsed by Angkor, but still served a vital role as its water irrigated the entire region.

    During the Khmer Rouge time the location was a final stronghold as their regime came to an end in 1979.

    The area is quite large with plenty of monkeys. It is run down but still impressive.
    Read more