Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 13

    Blue Temple

    October 10, 2023 in Thailand ⋅ 🌧 28 °C

    This temple is a fascinating fusion of traditional Buddhist values and classic Thai architecture with extremely contemporary design choices. The Blue Temple was designed by Putha Kabkaew, a student of the artist who built the eccentric White Temple.

    The Blue Temple is known in Thai as “Wat Rong Suea Ten”, or “Temple of the Dancing Tiger”. Another ancient temple once stood here, and tigers are said to have roamed freely over the grounds when it was abandoned nearly a century ago. The Blue Temple as it exists today is brand new by comparison. The local village decided to rebuild the temple in 1996 and began the project in 2005. Construction was officially completed in 2016, but The Blue Temple is still considered a work in progress.

    The stairs to the main entrance are guarded by naga serpents, whose tails ripple with detailed scales and twist and whirl around in entrancing elegance. The temple windows are protected by an angelic figure, posing proudly on a pedestal with feathered wings spread wide, a staff grasped behind its back. Brightly colored Yakshas, or female nature spirits, wait nearby to keep the temple safe from evil.
    Read more