Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    Wet Monday

    September 26, 2022 in Italy ⋅ 🌧 20 °C

    We can finally say it is a rainy day - except even then not all day. I think I’ll give up looking at the predictions…looking ahead it says our 5 days in Venice will be rainy, but we will just see what comes and be optimistic! We set off this morning in very light sprinkling rain, but it did get stronger and we had to put up our umbrellas - very annoying negotiating them along the narrow streets and bumping into everyone else’s - almost tempted to buy one of those cheap ponchos that are now being touted on the streets just for ease of walking!

    So this morning we went to a wonderful art gallery which we had been saving for a rainy day. It is a private collection in a palazzo just off the via del Corso - Palazzo Doria Pamphilj. The building itself is amazing, and the art collection stunning…it has been in the family for many generations (centuries) - the Caravaggio works were acquired before they were special and he was looked on as an outcast! So a great morning, and it was almost sunny by the time we emerged.

    I felt ready for a break of blobbing, but with the improved day we walked along to the piazza del Popolo again to see if the church with 2 Caravaggio paintings was open - but it wasn’t! Must check its hours…so we had a rectangle of pizza each to tide us till dinner, and I meandered back to the hotel, while Amr checked out some shops…..by the time he arrived back it was wet again.

    We have booked to eat at a Hartley recommended restaurant in an alley behind the Piazza di Navona. Should be good.

    Well we are now back from dinner, abluted and ready for bed. The restaurant was called Cul de Sac, and was in a little street with many eateries, and obviously a place for tourists in that location. But it was great! A small place, with a wall decor of wines, and good food. Not many Italians…we heard English English, Canadian English, French…that was just the people round us. I had marinated eggplant and ravioli with citrus flavours, and Amr had a lentil soup and a cod dish…we were both happy! It was totally clear sky with stars…and Amr thought he spotted Jupiter…off to sleep…
    Read more