Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 6

    Last full day in Rome

    September 27, 2022 in Italy ⋅ ⛅ 22 °C

    Not quite the last day, as we have another one before flying off to Cairo in a couple of weeks. But it has been beautiful. Set off this morning without an umbrella, that is how optimistic I felt, even though they did predict a shower between 3 and 4!! It was sunny and cool and perfect. We had our coffee at the usual place (which is 3 kms from hotel) - always need the pep after the walk, then again set off to Popolo to have a last try to see the Caravaggio paintings in the church there.

    Half way there a crisis as I realised I had dropped my trusted and very favourite and useful cardigan - had just slung it over my shoulder bag when I got hot and of course it slipped off…was rather devastated as it is so useful and we retraced our tracks right back to the Pantheon (Amr was very patient with my stupidity!) …no sighting, so sadly walked back still looking just in case….and there it was!! Someone had kindly picked it up and put it on a sign, like on a coat hanger, and I spotted it waiting for me…there is a god!

    Our good fortune continued as the church Santa Maria del Popolo was open, and we had a beautiful visit there and saw the paintings….very happy. Then we climbed up the path to the Borghese gardens, had a lovely wander there, had a sandwich, sat on a bench under the trees and read kindles…so pleasant.

    Walked back again past Trinità dei Monti, and deviated along past the Quirinale Palace and back. The rain at 3 pm turned out to be literally 2 drops - Amr felt one and I felt one - and then the cloud passed. Soon off to dinner at our favourite place of the first night. We call it Abruzzese because that is the region of the food - but think the actual name is Antica Boheme.

    …Now just back from dinner. We left the hotel early, walked up to piazza Republica and down the Via Veneto where all the very posh hotels are, and the American embassy. Ended up in piazza Barberini and had a drink watching the passing parade and crazy traffic - almost as mad as piazza Venezia! Then we walked to our restaurant on via Napoli. It was about 7.30 by then, and we were lucky to get in without a booking. They were busy and it is always so good. We had a wonderful meal - started with marinated anchovies, then Amr had a cod pasta, topped with a zucchini flower, and I had sautéed kidneys, and we had a salad and a half litre of wine. One thing that amazes us is that it is cheaper than 20 years ago. In 2002 we were happy to have dinner for under €80, and these days our dinners are often under €60! And this is comparing euros, not thinking of exchange rates….Anyway, another lovely evening. Tomorrow morning we take a train to Venice at 9.55am…nice and leisurely!
    Read more