Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 65

    Otago Peninsula

    April 12 in New Zealand ⋅ 🌧 8 °C

    Poppy was doing some great yoga on the bed this morning. It's amazing how strong and flexible they are at this age.
    Quite rainy again today so we carried on driving south. Visited the Otago Museum in Dunedin this morning. Had a delicious lunch in their cafe before exploring the Science Centre there. Rosie loved all the different interactive experiments. Think her favourites were the 'river' and the ball run. And of course the butterflies in the tropical room. So many different beautiful butterflies and some were huge! Great for Poppy too as she was enjoying watching them fly past.
    Then we drove up to the tip of the Otago Peninsula where the Albatross centre is. Saw several Albatross flying above the centre itself. They are massive! And made the seagulls look tiny.
    We booked to do the Penguin tour from the beach there last minute as it sounded good. Had dinner from the van in the car park beforehand as it was going to be nearly the girls' bedtime when we finished. Listened to the interesting talk first with the rest of the group then headed down to the viewing platform overlooking the beach. After about 15mins, 3 Little Blue Penguins swam onto the beach and waddled up towards us. Followed by another two groups later. They're so small they look like fish swimming to the shore. And they make a kind of quacking sound when talking to each other. Very cute ! Rosie and Poppy did great. Poppy had a good sleep and whilst we waited for penguins Rosie had some hot chocolate we took down.
    Read more