Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 66

    Purakaunui Bay

    April 13 in New Zealand ⋅ ☁️ 9 °C

    Had a quick run on the Otago peninsula this morning. Felt really good to do some exercise after lots of driving! Found a headland of grasses and gorse, looked very familiar!
    We drove to Purakaunui Bay Campsite today. One of the Department of Conservation campsites. Stopped off for lunch on the way and got Poppy a cute knitted hat - it's quite chilly here from time to time and we're expecting Tasmania to be colder.
    It was a long gravel road to the campsite, but totally worth it for the beautiful beach and dramatic cliffs. We arrived at 2pm so we had time to play on the beach which was lovely. Rosie is always so excited to have a big sandy beach to run around on. She was loving climbing over the rocks too. Poppy was awake so could face out in the sling and smile at all the silly running about!
    We walked through the river to get to the larger part of the beach and Matt came across a sealion! It was really cool to see a sealion somewhere so remote. We watched it walk down to the sea and swim off. I kept on expecting it to move like a seal, but being able to walk like a sealion seems much more sensible than how seals have to flop about! Found some huge kelp on the beach as well. One piece washed up must have been 12m long!
    Had dinner on the grass outside the camper watching the sunset. Rosie did such good eating - which was a relief as that's not always the case! Off further south to Curio bay tomorrow which looks like the furthest south we'll get!
    Read more