Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 1

    Krka National Park

    July 5, 2023 in Croatia ⋅ ☀️ 30 °C

    When we arrived in Split, we wanted to get straight into some of the activities in the area, and so we decided to knock out the major one we wanted to do. This was Krka National Park. It had some unbelievable waterfalls and wildlife, and the tour we chose included a tour guide through the national park, a boat cruise, and some spare time to swim. Unfortunately, swimming in the actual waterfall section is not allowed. Apparently, a child died there some years ago, and so it has been shut off ever since. We were meeting at the old town in Split but it was a bit later in the day, around 10:30 am, so we used the spare time to wander around and see the beautiful city. We accidentally strolled through the diolcetians palace and the underground areas used to shoot Game of Thrones. This was an incredible site, and it was difficult to understand how it could be so well maintained. They use the area for markets mostly now, which makes it an interesting stroll.

    We then got on the bus to Krka National Park. When we first arrived, the tour guide took us through some small historical watermill section of the national park. Despite it not being overly busy, we managed to lose him at the very first point, and we did not see him again until the end. This was slightly disappointing, but it meant we made mates with an English guy from Newcastle and a bunch of Dutch girls. We essentially just wandered through at our own pace and chatted, and it was perfectly fine given the views. As is typical with everywhere in Croatia, the water was insanely clear and, this time, slightly green. This meant you could see all the wildlife in the water and made the waterfalls themselves incredibly colourful and spectacular. I would love to be able to include more than 20 photos, but you may just have to wait until I'm home to see them all. Sorry.

    After finally finding our tour guide again, we headed for the boat for a quick cruise down the river. This was also quite cool but nowhere near as exciting as the Waterfall section. They dropped us off at a beach, and we chilled there for about an hour and had some beers. Eventually, it was time to get on the bus and head back to Split. We headed home for a shower and met some more people from the hostel. It seemed as though they put all the Aussies in the one room because there were about 7 of us total and just one other Italian who we barely saw.

    We then caught up with the English mate for a few drinks and headed back to our hostel to drink at the bar there. The beers were only 2 euros, and it meant we could meet some other people from the hostel. We invited some of them to drink, and eventually, there were about 6 or 7 of us having beers in the bar at the hostel. We then decided to try and find some nightlife, but after finding mostly pay to enter places, we settled for a couple of bars/restaurants that were cheapish. Jack was keen to enter a club but entry was like 30 euro and it was already late so we convinced him it wouldn't be worth it. In the end, we all just went home to bed. We weren't too upset because we knew there would be more partying in Hvar.
    Read more