Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 35

    Himare

    August 8, 2023 in Albania ⋅ ⛅ 28 °C

    Today, we planned to beach hop on our way to Himare. Unfortunately, all the beaches we had identified on the map as having potential were situated within a naval base area. I'm not sure how that could have happened, but obviously, we just went on our way and headed to the next beach. This was the main beach we wanted to see anyway, so we weren't too fussed. The drive there ended up being the greatest appeal of it all. Unfortunately, I was driving and so didn't get the best photos, but we got to drive down from the top of the mountain on a zigzag road with pristine white beaches that lay at the bottom. The beach when we got to the bottom did not disappoint either. The water was insanely blue and the perfect temperature. Was so nice to jump in. We couldn't spend as much time as we had planned, though, as the wind did manage to ruin the fun. Because it is a rocky beach, when the wind really picked up, you would be getting hit and stung by tiny rocks that left like they embedded themselves into you. As such, we figured it would be best to make our way to Himare.

    When we arrived, we got to the hotel we had originally booked just to learn that they actually rejected our booking for whatever reason. This meant we officially had to find somewhere at the very last minute. We knew for a fact that accommodation isn't cheap or easy to find here because two Irish girls, who were coincidentally staying in Himare at the same time as us, were forced to stay at a camping site. This scared us quite a bit, but eventually, we found a really nice hotel that was quite expensive, but splitting it 3 ways makes it a lot more affordable. We had to pay 30 euro each, but that's what most hostels cost anyway, and we got our own private place.

    This worked out really well as eventually when we caught up with the Irish ladies, we made use of a 5 euro cocktail happy hour and went back to the hotel to drink. We were probably 6 cocktails and a few beers in by this point, and the drinking only continued, so it is safe to say it was a long night of drinking. Unfortunately, there isn't much nightlife in Himare, so this was the best option we had, but we were not complaining as we had a lot of fun.
    Read more