Satellite
  • Day 23

    Santiago de Compostela

    October 11, 2017 in Spain ⋅ ☀️ 13 °C

    No relaxing now...up early and out of the door. It's a cold morning (a brief relief from the heat ahead - unusually hot here at present) but there are important matters to attend to. A short walk to the Official Pilgrims Office, and at 8am already there is a queue. Pilgrims in a range of attire, carrying rucksacks having just walked into the City, and those in casual clothing having arrived the day before. All smiling, talking, questioning "when did you arrive; what route did you take; did you really carry all your worldly possessions with you?"
    We are all here for one reason, the get the official Compostela for completing the Camino. From religious, spiritual, or for sporting reason. Whether done on foot, bike, or donkey (yes it has been done) all (who wish to receive the Compostela) go through this ceremony. Wait over, I am interviewed and questioned on my Camino, my credential(s) are examined, and then the Compostela is written and signed (it's all in Latin), handed to me and...that's it!
    No longer a peregrino; pilgrim; or walking the Camino, I am an inquisitive tourist seeking to see and learn more about St James, and explore the history of this City. I might even climb on the roof of the Cathedral, have a drink in the Parador hotel (once a Catholic hospital, now the finest hotel in the City and adjacent to the Cathedral) and keep walking, walking and maybe do some more walking. No putting up my feet just yet.
    Read more