Satellite
  • Day 35

    First night in the Camper

    October 20, 2016 in New Zealand ⋅ ⛅ 21 °C

    The first journey in our camper! We set-off later than planned, a lot later... But hey ho! We managed to get almost everything we needed from the warehouse and cleaned the car too. It started out for photos but then we realised how filthy it was, inside and out, so we gave it a good clean all over! Looked so much better for it too 😀

    So we now have nice new bedding, fairy lights, pots and pans and a few other bits and bobs, not forgetting food supplies!
    We drove straight to our intended campsite up the coast at Uretiti and found ourselves a spot to park up for the night. Ut was a lively campsite run by the department of conservation and just over a dune there was the beach. It was starting to get towards evening though so we had to get cooking! On the menu tonight, pasta with vegetables in a tomato sauce. Beyond chopping and frying the veg the cooking was a bit of an issue due to lighting. We had a head torch but it did way too good a job of simply enticing bugs into my face 😶 Eventually though dinner was ready and it tasted pretty good too! We ate in the front seats to avoid the flies and allow for some much needed light.

    Up next.... Bedtime! The camping life always lends to early nights dictated by the sunset so we found ourselves heading to bed earlier than normal. It was then that we realised we weren't very organised and had left the bed made up but without taking any clothes or toiletries out from underneath. Night one meant no showers and no change of clothes 😥 oops! We made a plan to sort this issue in the morning!

    One of the more exciting parts of the night followed shortly... The famous New Zealand long drop loo! I really wish I didn't have a head torch on when lifting the lid lol. They were nice though to be honest. Not smelly like I had imagined and aside from a flush it wasn't much different to normal.
    Read more