Satellite
  • Day 281

    Melbourne to Alice Springs

    January 5, 2018 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 35 °C

    From Melbourne we started a 10 day tour up to Alice Springs. This was a chance as Ben was nice enough to point out to us to make some friends for a change. The first part of the journey was along the Great ocean road stopping at the famous 12 Apostles. I hated it.....there were too many tourists with their stupid selfie sticks all pushing for THE photo that might mean they get an extra 5 likes on Facebook making 6 in total. On this leg we also visited the Grampians and Adelaide. Which both of us agreed was a lovely city as far as cities go.
    The next leg of our journey was up to Alice Springs. We gained some people on our tour taking the number 14. We were very lucky with the other people on our tour who were all lovely meaning the experience was even better. We also changed our guide who turned out to be a good laugh telling us lie after lie meaning we didn't know quite what to believe. At least 5 times a day shouting oh my god guys look, look to the left....there's a tree!? But it all added to the fun. The temperature along this leg was close to unbearable averaging about 40 degrees!
    Noticeable stops along here included Cooper Peady a small town, only there because of opal mines. Here 70% of the locals lived under ground because it was too hot! We also stopped at Kings Canyon, Kata Tjuta (the Olgas), and the famous Uluru (Ayres Rock). All of which were amazing, the favourite surprisingly being the Olgas. Due to the extreme heat we often were getting up at 4am to avoid the midday sun for our walks. Although we did get to see some amazing sun rises. We also spent 3 nights swag camping. Basically a waterproof sleeping bag allowing us to experience the proper outback. Camping around a fire in the desert no electricity, or toilets. Something I enjoyed. Susie enjoyed the experience but wouldn't do it again, the worst point was a scorpion crawling next to Susie's swag. The big brave tour guide had to save her...(and me). Next instalment Bali... your excitement is palpable!
    Read more