Show on map
  • Day372


    April 6, 2018 in South Africa ⋅ ☀️ 22 °C

    The day we left the Victoria Falls we crossed the border into Botswana. It was the easiest border crossing by far and only took a few minutes, which was a nice change from the normal. From here we went straight to the Chobe National Park. We decided to opt for a boat safari here for something slightly different, it certainly wasn't a drunken affair like the previous two. It was a four hour boat cruise in the afternoon as the sun was setting where we saw elephants, baboons, hippos, a few mongoose, crocodiles and number of birds all coming to the water to drink. Nothing we hadn't seen before but it was very chilled and was a nice way to get to know our new group.
    We then had a few days on the road before heading to the Okavango Delta, this is the largest land based delta in Africa. This means that the delta or the river supplying the delta (the Zambezi River) never enters the sea or an ocean but rather floods forming the delta mentioned above. Therefore, it can grow or reduce in size depending on the season. On our first day we took a scenic flight over the Delta. Despite Susie's normal motion sickness she agreed to try again. After much planning and sickness tablets she managed to complete the hour flight unscathed!!! The scenery was amazing, allowing us to see all the animals from a better vantage point as well and the delta itself. I think Susie was just happy she wasn't sick!! The following day we took a local canoe along the narrow waterways for a two hour trip to what would be our campsite for the night. Again the canoe ride itself was extremely enjoyable, we were able to sit back, relax and watch the view while out local guide used a bamboo stick to navigate our route. Our campsite was typical bush camping, no shower and just a hole in the ground for a toilet which we used as little as possible. During the afternoon we were taken on a walking safari where we went into the delta to see the plants and any wild life we could come across. After sitting on a bus for hours at a time it was a nice change. We only managed to see some antelope and wildebeest but it was still a good afternoon. That evening we were given a show of local dance and music by our guides. It was .... Interesting, but a good laugh, luckily we weren't picked to get up and dance with them and it was more fun to laugh at the people who were.
    In the morning after another early start and a ride out if the delta we continued on our way towards Namibia.
    Read more