Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 7

    NORTHERN WOODS

    September 5, 2017 in Canada ⋅ ☀️ 14 °C

    We left Saguenay and have been meandering through Northern Quebec. We have passed by a million scrubby black spruce trees and thousands of ponds/lakes. It has been drizzling off and on. Slightly gray & melancholy seeming.

    This evening we crossed into Ontario. It is raining. We are staying in the first village we came to -- in a hotel in the middle of a road construction zone-- they have finished blasting, but they are still using huge machines to dig out the rubble and the hotel driveway is now part of the highway. The hotel smells strongly of cigarette smoke and cabbage soup. Things are hopping here -- BEAR RIVER GOLD Company from BC is drilling for gold and many of the workers are staying here.

    Also, back home it is the beginning of the school year, of course, and although Tarjei says he is fine, I have noticed that he has been checking the Dal AC website to see who is teaching "his" courses, and how many students there are registered. It is the first September since 1956 that he has not been starting school.

    However, we had dinner at "The Muddy Moose" in Larder, Ontario. It was in fact delicious home made food. With a beer. We are warm and dry, so have absolutely nothing to complain of.

    Tomorrow we plan a long day of driving to a Pukawaska Park on Lake Superior, where we hope to camp and hike for a couple of days.

    We plan sun and crisp fall weather for the next while.
    Read more