Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 31

    SKOKI

    September 29, 2017 in Canada ⋅ ☀️ 10 °C

    Skoki Lodge is located in Banff National Park backcountry, a 12 km walk from the nearest road. There is a main lodge and several cabins, the first built in the early 1930's. They are still being used today. There is no running water, no electricity, no cell or wifi. Prince William and Kate helicoptered in and stayed for a few days on their honeymoon (a special bathroom with running water and a toilet were installed, then removed after their visit).

    Tarjei and I hiked in to stay for 2 days with Jill and Charlotte (two of my med school buddies), and Jill's husband Allistair.

    We were lucky to have bright sun and warm days. It froze at night but we were snug in our cabin under warm duvets. The hiking was astonishingly beautiful. The larches turned mountainsides into gold. Tiny mountain lakes were icy cold -- some of us took a very brief dip which was shocking and energizing. The food was fabulous and abundant.

    We laughed so much, argued about politics and wines and whether "larches" and "tamaracks" are the same things (no Mr. Google to check with), and discussed medical practice and retirement and our children.

    Now it is 5 AM. Someone is snoring quietly in the other corner of the cabin. I have just been outside and the sky is filled with stars.

    Today we hike out, pick up the dogs at the kennel, and drive to Vernon for my 40th anniversary med school reunion.
    Read more