Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 26

    MOUNTAIN TIME

    September 24, 2017 in Canada ⋅ ☀️ 8 °C

    We have spent the last few days in the Rocky Mountains.

    My brother Allin died 3 years ago of hypothermia on a mountain overlooking Lake Abraham which is on the upper North Saskatchewan River. Alice, my sister-in-law, had a picnic table installed by the lake as a remembrance and we met for a picnic there on Sunday along with Allin's son Ian. It meant a lot to me to see the mountain and think about his life and death.

    Since then we have been enjoying a little hiking on mountain trails and some camping. The best camping place was at Lake Louise where the entire campground was surrounded by a six-strand electric fence to keep the grizzlies out. It seemed to work.

    Camping out is getting pretty chilly -- the dogs snuggle together for warmth, and we appreciate our down bags. As long as it stays dry, we are comfortable even with freezing temperatures.

    Tomorrow we meet Jill and Charlotte, my class of '77 medical school friends, for a hike into Skoki Lodge near Lake Louise. After a couple of days of back country luxury, we go to our 40 year medical school graduation reunion. Hard to believe!
    Read more