Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 244

    The End

    March 31, 2020 in Australia ⋅ ☁️ 28 °C

    Difficult times, no right, no wrong, difficult decisions. Shall we stay or not? The interstate borders are closed, that means barely opportunities to see a bit more of Australia. We had to check the news daily to make a decision. Why should we come back to Germany, when the situation is far worse there than in Australia. But when is it possible to travel again? Shall we wait or come home three months earlier than expected? Difficult decisions. Some stay in Australia, we decided to come back to Germany before no airline will fly from Australia to Germany anymore. Emirates and Ethiad have already cancelled all flights, the only airline who keeps flying is Qatar. We checked the prices, 1,200$ per person! No way! Later, we found a flight for 850$ and booked it immediately. (Later everyone has told us, that we got the cheapest flight, at least once we had a little bit of luck). Because of Corona we had to cancel New Zealand, Indonesia, the Philippines and Kuala Lumpur.

    Buuuut before we left Australia, we strolled through Sydney and rented a camper van to explore the surrounding area there. I honestly didn't like Sydney, it is way too big and busy in my opinion. But, we also went to Tomaree Nationalpark (one more problem, all camping sites were closed), to the Blue Mountains (there we stayed at a hostel, but slept in our car, so we only used the toilet, showers and the kitchen and paid almost nothing for that). In the Blue Mountains we saw a couple of burned places, but everything already started to recover.
    Our last stop of our 5 days road trip was the Royal National Park near Sydney.

    On the 31st March it was time to say good bye to Australia. The memories will last. The destinations (Melbourne included), which we couldn't visit won't run away. Maybe after we have finished studying we can visit those places, hopefully.
    Gonna miss the overwhelming hospitality of the Australians (even though some of them act pretty fake). And of course, all the people I have met during my time in Australia.
    Living in a different country far away from home was the best experience, also to become more independent and self confident.
    Read more