Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 10

    Memorable Momorangi Bay

    October 17, 2021 in New Zealand ⋅ 🌧 12 °C

    Happy Birthday Barbara!
    As we went to bed last night we remarked on how dark and how peaceful and quiet the camp was. Sadly that was short-lived. We were rudely awoken some time after 10.30 by a brilliant light shining through the trees next to us, a constant thrumming noise and loud voices. After lying there for a while getting more and more annoyed, Charlie got up and – rather bravely, I thought – went to investigate. He found a young couple sitting in an SUV watching a massive flat screen TV that they had set up on a picnic table along with a spotlight, all being powered by a very loud generator parked in the bushes nearby!
    “What are you doing?” asked Charlie. “This is a campsite - we’re camping” was the reply! After he told them “You can’t do that here” they were good enough to apologise and turn it off, but by then we were wide awake, and remained so for several hours.
    It poured with rain ALL day today. As we drove back through Picton and on to Momorangi Bay around the coastline, we should have been able to see stunning vistas of the Queen Charlotte Sound and lots of little bays, but all we could see was grey cloud and the occasional glimpse of grey water... “Bet it’s beautiful on a good day!” we thought. (Note these photos were taken the following day).
    Read more