Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 11

    Day 2 in Momorangi Bay

    October 18, 2021 in New Zealand ⋅ ⛅ 16 °C

    The camp at Momorangi is a lot bigger than we had expected. I bet it hums at Christmas time, but there are very few of us here at the moment. We have booked in for 2 nights and are plugged into a powered site right on the foreshore, where we have recharged all our devices and appliances, and have used the laundry facilities and hot showers. We’ve also been able to refill our ice supplies courtesy of the freezer in the camp kitchen. So we’re all set for the next leg of the journey.
    Charlie has been out fishing off the jetty this morning and came back with a lovely barracuda, which will provide the bait for his next expeditions. I made cheese scones to celebrate! The weather has improved slightly: we are now getting intermittent sunny spells between the showers and we are hopeful that the rest of the week is looking brighter.
    We went for a lovely walk around several bays to another DOC parking spot at Aussie Bay. The track took us through native bush to the sound of bellbirds… we had forgotten how lush it is up here and how awesome it is to see punga, totara, flaxes and native broadleaf species all growing wild.
    And I got my first sandfly bite today!
    Read more