Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 6

    To Anchorage

    June 25, 2023 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 66 °F

    Today we are off to Anchorage. To get there, we are taking a dome train to Telkeetna. Remember the TV show Northern Exposure? Story based on this town and where the opening credits were filmed with the moose walking down Main Street. That is where we are heading. We get the train and head out of Denali on a 5 hour trip. Scenery is beautiful. Mostly cloudy day but the sun did make its appearance on occasion. We had a guide on the train who explained everything along the way. Hoping to see some kind of wildlife along the way as the probability was good, but had to settle for some trumpeter swans. Had lunch in the dinning car and had bison sandwich with a Mosquito Bite (That’s a drink). It was very good. The food so far on the trip has been very good. But the prices…. It’s very expensive. About an hour before getting to Telkeetna, we had to pull off to a side track to let two other trains pass. That delayed us by 1.5 hours. While we sat there, Apparently a moose crossed the tracks in front of the engine but no one was able to see it. We did run out of vodka so when the first train came by. It stopped along side and we traded potato chips for a bottle. While this happened, our dome car was having fun with the other dome car. They were acting like they saw something spectacular outside their car which we couldn’t see. We did “the wave” down our side. Exchange was done and we finally got a new supply of vodka, and got back to traveling. Unfortunately, the delay meant we couldn’t spend any time in Telkeetna. It looked like such a cute town. (Note to self, if you ever get back to Alaska, make sure to visit here). So now its off to Anchorage. We did stop by to get Ice cream. Paul had promised the three little kids in our group that if there were really good on the trip and didn’t make the group late for any departures, that he would buy them Ice cream. So this is where he made good on his promise as the kids have been really good. Got into Anchorage about 6ish, got a quick tour of the downtown area then headed to the Sheraton Hotel. It is the tallest building in Anchorage. It is anchorage’s skyline. Went to dinner at a nice restaurant about 8 blocks down the street. Since we did not have a reservation we had to eat at the bar. Met a Man sitting next to us who was also traveling to Denali so we talked about all our adventures. Got back to hotel about 830 and called it a night.

    Turns out we are becoming famous on our tour. We are known as the two Sue’s. Paul thought it was funny to call us Sue and Sue attorneys at law.
    Going forward everyone on the bus called us the two Sue’s.
    Read more