Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 7

    Road to Homer

    June 26, 2023 in the United States ⋅ ☁️ 52 °F

    Today we leave for Homer. Started out from Anchorage and headed down the Kenai Peninsula. It was a beautiful trip. Paul explained all about the ecology of the water in this area and about the salmon migrations. We finally spotted some Doll Sheep up in the hillsides. The scenery along here is spectacular. Stopped by a wildlife center where they house animals that can no longer survive in the wild. We saw moose, bear, bison, elk, deer, wolf, coyote, arctic fox, porcupine, Just to mention a few. From there we continued on and stopped for lunch and had some of the best chicken salad sandwiches . Continuing on, Paul told us about his first fishing trip. We stopped at the location where he fishes and as we entered the parking lot, we encountered mama moose and her two calf’s. Apparently it is rare for them to have two. Craig our bus driver keeped watched for her as we got out of the coach as she was only 300 feet away in the woods. We did not see them again. We did however see a mama duck or loon, with her baby’s in tow. Sometimes the baby’s rode on the mothers back. Not sure what kind of bird they were. I will have to look it up.

    The last stop of the day was at the Kenai conservation center where we walked around a bit and got eaten up by mosquito’s. But we did see our first eagle.

    Back on the road to Homer and arrived about 5ish. And took a quick tour out to the Spit. Checked into our Bestwestern hotel. We decided to do a laundry and to pack up some thing to ship home and called it a night.
    Read more