Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 39

    Bali, Last Day, 26th December 2022

    December 26, 2022 in Indonesia ⋅ ☁️ 27 °C

    I'm coming to the end of my 6 day stay in the Seminyak/Legian area of Bali. There truth is, I'm ready to leave, done most of what I wanted to do. It's time to move on to hopefully more pretty and unspoilt islands nearby (more tomorrow).
    Here are a few thoughts about Bali - personal reflections and not moans:
    Yes, it's true what a lot of pundits say; that Bali has become over-commercialised. The OZ and Kiwi contingent are omni-present - it's their 'Benidorm', I suppose.
    For me, the most interesting bits I've come across have been away from the excesses of the Kuta/Legian/Seminyak beach scene. But hey, that's probably what most people come here for.
    Yes, the beaches are dirty (a tractor pulling a litter collector late evening/early morning would improve things enormously. Many of the town's are sadly grubby too.
    I've lost count of the times I've had to say 'no thank you' to some young nubile would-be masseuse. I have my standards y'know. (How do you mean, yes, they're really low?)
    Ulu Watu was excellent (despite the horrendous rain and crazy traffic). I've never been to a temple complex with so many toilets around such a huge site.
    The surfing is obviously a top draw.. I went for a swim today and it's slightly hard work. A beer on the beach and reading a few pages of my novel though - it can't be that bad.
    It's an early night for Gavin tonight. I need to be up and awake in time for a bus picking me up at 7:00am.
    Read more