Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 7

    The city center !!

    December 2, 2022 in Chile ⋅ ☀️ 29 °C

    For this visit, I booked a free walking tour on GuruWalk. It is a great way to discover a city's historical and cultural features, but also a way to meet people and make new friends.
    Before the visit, several persons including the tour guide warned us about the city center. Robbery and pickpocketing are common there. For what I saw, it is not less safe than any touristic district in Paris (at least in daytime).
    On the pictures, you can see in the order : the church of San Augustin and its creepy Jesus Christ ; the "Nueva-York" district where are the Diplomatic Academy of Chile (most prestigious academy in the country) and Chile's stock exchange, the Palacio de la Moneda (seat of the president), some buildings from the plaza de Armas (Santiago cathedral, central post office, museum of natural history). Speaking of museums, many of them in Santiago are state-owned and free of access.
    After the tour, I went on the Santa Lucia hill with some people met during the tour. The hill itself offers nice gardens and a castle at the top, although the view from there is not breathtaking.
    Read more