Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 23

    Cordoba to Cerro Muriano

    February 25 in Spain ⋅ ☁️ 12 °C

    Today was a short walk (18km) but one of the heaviest climbs of the CM so far. We walked about 4 km to get out of Cordoba and began climbing soon after. The climbing didn’t stop until 1-2 km before we reached Cerro Muriano. Lots of rocky surfaces of various kinds, so it was slower going than we anticipated. We were glad to see so many flowers in bloom along the way, including our first lavender sightings.

    It is Sunday, so the paths are shared by walkers, runners and mountain bikers. The mountain bikers can come upon you quickly! They only seemed to go downhill, and we saw that they indeed had van support for the uphill.

    In Cello Muriano we stopped at a very busy Bar Bruno for a meal, and they kindly made me a very nice vegetarian burrito. Their deserts are homemade and excellent. However, our biggest treat was arriving at our habitation, Bar Equis (Bar X on the CM guide) and finding a charming cozy wine bar. We were shown to room 7, which is the Camino Mozarabe room. The walls are covered in Camino memorabilia. So welcoming, and a lovely place! I was showered and relaxing in bed by 5, but we will definitely go downstairs later to enjoy the wine bar. We can hear the classical music playing. The bar owner is a Camino adept, and very informative over the next (long) stages.

    Later: Well, the music changed to the sound of the bar tv (thin walls), and later a bunch of fellows gathered to watch a football game. We slept well, nonetheless, although I did hear the final patrons leave at 4:30 a.m!

    G: veel rotspaden vandaag. En we hadden ons ingesteld op redelijk vlakke wandeling. Maar we bleven maar omhoog gaan. Achteraf bleek het de vierde meest stijgende dag van de trip te zijn. Geestelijk is dat wel een aparte ervaring. Want het lijkt dan veel zwaarder...
    Toen we in het dorp aankwamen hadden we wel het geluk dat we zo aan het dagmenu konden aanschuiven. Heel het dorp trouwens at tussen twee en vier buiten de deur.... Een zondag ritueel?
    Read more