Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 150

    Kayaking the Abel Tasman

    June 8, 2020 in New Zealand ⋅ ⛅ 13 °C

    Woke up this morning after a good night's sleep, feeling excited for the kayak trip. We drove to the Abel Tasman Kayaks, only 5 minutes down the road from The Barn. They gave us spray jackets and large dry bags to put all our belongings in. Then we went up a ramp on to the boat on the trailer and they drove us to the beach.

    We first went in the boat down the coast. The water was so clear and beautiful surrounded by beautiful golden beaches. We launched off the beach. It was great to be on the water and we were so lucky with the weather. Clear blue sunny skies. We pulled in to a cove because Conny and Kyra were a little slow. Our guide Roy suggested we put are 3 kayaks together while Kyra got on to the guides kayak so they were able to go a bit quicker and there was one guy with us on the tour who went in with Conny. I've forgotten his name. We paddled by some large rocks and could see a few seals bathing. We also spotted a pup!

    Next we headed to shag harbour a small inlet. As we paddled in we spotted about 6 seals sat on top of a rock. Some were fighting so we didn't get too close. We then paddled on and came across a nursery of seals. There were so many seal pups jumping in and out of the water splashing near our kayaks and going underneath the kayaks. They got quite close. The seals were very playful and curious. The whole experience was amazing. The guide said we were lucky to see so many as sometimes they swim off. I could of stayed there all day! We enjoyed homemade brownie from our guide while were there.

    After this we paddled to a beach for lunch. We bought with us beef salad sandwiches. The guide had coffee for us. We set off after lunch for a paddle to some small caves. We saw a sting ray swimming close by here. We then got picked up by the water taxi to head back.

    We did some washing in the evening and had a relaxing night in. We has bbq chicken for tea with mash and veg. We had a G&T and did some more route planning. Now off to bed. Leaving tomorrow to head to Golden Bay.
    Read more