Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 152

    Rawhiti cave, Wainui falls & Wharariki

    June 10, 2020 in New Zealand ⋅ 🌙 9 °C

    We started the day early with a hike up to Rawhiti cave. We hiked through lush ferns and walked across dry creek valley. After, the track was very steep and rugged as it zig-zagged up the hill. It was a bit slippery going up. After a tough climb we could see the cave entrance come in to view. It was spectacular. Definitely worth the climb. We walked down some wooden steps to a viewing deck inside the cave where you can look up at the stalactites. We then walked back it was even more slippery going down but I was glad of my walking boots. We saw a family walking up as we were going down and they wanted to give up and go back down. We told them it was really worth if you keep on going.

    After we made it back to the car we drove to Wainui falls. The walk lead us through lush native Bush and a large swing bridge. The waterfall was beautiful.

    Next we headed to Wharariki beach on the northernmost point of the south island. We walked on a track high up on the hills and then down a sandy track to the beach. The beach was stunning with large sand dunes and archway Islands. In the evening we went out for a meal at ths mussel inn. It was very cosy and relaxed atmosphere inside with a big warm fireplace. Ashleigh had Mexican bean pie and I had vegetable lasagne with salad and a glass of sauvignon blanc locally made . The perfect way to end the day.
    Read more