Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 153

    Lake Rotoiti/Cape Foulwind/Pancake rocks

    June 11, 2020 in New Zealand ⋅ 🌧 12 °C

    This morning we got up bright and early at 6.30 as we had a long drive ahead of us to Hokitika. Our first stop was lake Rotoiti. It was a beautiful lake surrounding by mountains and we saw a rainbow at the lake. We spotted lots of eels. A guy was feeding them and they went crazy. Ashleigh has a video of them on his phone underwater.

    Next we drove to Kilkenny lookout overlooking Lower buller gorge River. After this stop we went to Cape Foulwind and walked to the lighthouse, we had a lovely view overlooking the Tasman sea.

    Our next stop was pancake rocks. It was a lot bigger than I thought and very impressive. The rocks are made of limestone formed under the sea 35 million years ago. However no one knows how the rocks were formed in to layers. The waves were crashing against the rocks and the waves came up very high. There was also a impressive blow hole. We then drove to Hokitika kiwi holiday park. We arrived in the evening and had an early night we were all very tired after being out on the road for 10 hours. We've got a nice cabin with a double bed and bunk. Everything is spotless here and so clean. The last hostel we stayed at in barefoot Backpackers was not clean at all so it's been nice to stay here.
    Read more