Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 154

    National Kiwi Centre, Gorge & Hokitika

    June 12, 2020 in New Zealand ⋅ 🌙 10 °C

    This morning we drove to the National Kiwi Centre. At 10am we went to a eel feeding talk. We got to feed the eels meat. The eels were very long, they are the biggest in New Zealand, known as the longfin eel. Unfortunately these eels are declining due to pollution, the building of dams, loss of vegetation near their habitat and overfishing. We also got to touch one of the eels it didn't seem to mind at all. Apparently the young ones are more likely to bite you.

    Next we went to the Kiwi House. There were two kiwi birds. I was surprised how big they were and how quickly they moved. It was great to finally see a Kiwi bird.

    We then drove to Hokitika Gorge. Usually the river is vibrant blue but because its been raining it was a bit murky. It was still impressive and we had a lovely walk through the forest and over a swing bridge. We then drove to Hokitika beach and saw the famous sign just when the sun was setting. We had vegetable tomato pasta in the evening then went to the glow worm dell. It was impressive and the most glowworms I've seen for free.
    Read more