Satellite
  • Day 177

    Aviation Museum & Wine Tour Blenheim

    July 5, 2020 in New Zealand ⋅ 🌧 12 °C

    This morning we went to Omaka Aviation Heritage Centre. The museum had Sir Peter Jackson’s personal collection of WW1 aircraft and artefacts. Some scenes we saw of the aircraft recreated an incident that actually happened in the war. The detail was incredible.
    There was personal items belonging to national flying heroes such as the USA’s Eddie Rickenbacker, France’s René Fonck and Germany’s Red Baron, Manfred von Richthofen and the infamous Hermann Goering.

    In the afternoon we did a wine tasting tour. It was just the four of us on the tour. We first went to Rock Ferry a small organic vineyard. We tried 5 different wines here. The first was a 2014 Riesling. Ashleigh enjoyed it but I didn't like the acidity aftertaste. We next had a 2019 sauvignon blanc. I enjoyed it, it was fruity, fresh and crisp. I also liked the 2016 pinot noir. I don't normally drink read but this was light and fruity. Unfortunately they don't sell there wine in shops only online.

    The next vineyard we went to was the famous Cloudy Bay. Their Sauvignon blanc was one of the best I've had. We tried a few other wines but this one stood out to me.

    The last vineyard we went to was Whitehaven. Whitehaven is a family owned business. We enjoyed our wine tasting here. Our favourite was their desert wine. It had lots of flavours and not too sweet.

    The wine tour also included going to Makana chocolate factory. You could smell the sweet chocolate as soon as you walked through the door. We could see them making the chocolate through the window. We tried butter chocolate crunch Macadamia and it was delicious. I had to buy some even though it was slightly expensive!
    Read more