Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 181

    Hike up Mount Victoria & Meal out

    July 9, 2020 in New Zealand ⋅ ☁️ 8 °C

    This morning we walked over to the Beehive parliament unfortunately we had to book a tour to be able to look around. We booked one for tomorrow morning.
    Next we walked through the city and then hiked up to Mount Victoria Lookout. It was a little cloudy but we had 360 degree views of Wellington City, the harbour and the ocean to the South. We couldn't stay up there for long because it was very windy. Legend has it that Wellington harbour, originally a land-locked lake, was home to two large and very active taniwha (sea monsters). One taniwha forged a passage to the open sea creating the entrance to the harbour. The second, named Whataitai, tried a different route, became stranded and died. It is believed that Tangi-te keo (Mt Victoria) was named after the soul of Whataitai.

    In the evening we all went out for our last meal together. Conny, Ashleigh and I will be travelling on but Kyra will be staying in Wellington to find work. We went out for steak at Southern Cross . It came out on a hot stone so we had to cook it ourselves. Unfortunately the chips were cold by the time the steak cooked. Kyra complained and we got some more chips. They were hot this time and a we also got a drink on the house. We then went to a pub for a drink and watched a live band.
    Read more