Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 26

    Amsterdams great public transport.

    May 13 in the Netherlands ⋅ ⛅ 22 °C

    What an easy place to get around. We were on the 21 bus route and 7 tram. the longest we had to wait would have been under 10 minutes. There are cars on the road but not many. The only traffic snarl up we saw was because dumb drivers did not give a bus enough room to move. A member of the public got out there and got everyone to reverse . Problem solved.
    So they have a ring road for the cars and I dont think cars are allowed in the city unless they are commercial or taxis.
    See the pictures of the bikes they are so numerous it is amazing.
    The roads have 2 full lane s for bus and tram to share in the middle of the road, one full lane fot cars, and the wide footpaths that are divided in 1/2 for pedestrians and bikes.
    It is pretty unnerving the speed the cyclists at but pedestrians get the footpath and the bikes there own lane wide enough for 2 wide . it just all works.
    The buses and trams are all electric so there isn't pollution. Except for some of the smelly old canal boats.
    There are no turnstiles or tickets as you hop on or off the bus. tram or train. You swipe a debit card. or contactless means, and these are on all doors. People are on and off instantly.
    I so admire a ciry that has got off its arse and made things work.
    It is way trickier getting people onto bikes in Auckland, but there are some great ideas here that make this city so appealing.
    All the photos attached on on a Monday morning, not a weekend. See how the roads have so few cars .

    We also did astint at the laundromat this AM. Oh, the fun. 😁
    Then, we did a lovely 2 hour cruise through the camals. Amsterdam is called the Venice of the North and has as many canals as Venice, just fewer bridges. Only 250. huh.
    Back to London tomorrow on Eurostar.
    Read more