Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 11

    Pula and Rovinj.

    May 14 in Croatia ⋅ ☁️ 19 °C

    Our day started with rain as we drove along the coast to Pula but cleared up. Pula is the biggest city in the Istrian Peninsula. There we visited the well-preserved first-century arena, scene of brutal gladiatorial battles in Roman times.

    My favourite part of the day was when we visited the really charming town of Rovinj. We wandered through the cobbled streets up to St Euphemia's Church. This really sweet town seems more Italian than Croatian with its pastel-colored buildings and Venetian styled buildings. We enjoyed a light lunch in a very pretty setting.

    We drove back to our hotel in the late afternoon. The countryside is a bit different from the previous couple of days. When we came back to the coast the view was much clearer than it had been in the rainy morning. Not perfect but clearer. We could see a few of Croatia's many islands - they number around 1200!

    Back in Opatija, 17 of our group booked takes at a local restaurant. The meals were delicious and we had a great time. We haven't laughed so hard in ages.

    (Photo#2. The lower photo showing Rovinj from the air is not my own - all else are. I loved this photo, seeing how the town is situated, so included it. )
    Read more