Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    Mid-Coast cruising - south

    April 21, 2023 in Australia

    During an early morning walk along the grass airstrip that shares the land with the camp ground our host met us on his tractor cutting the grass with his usual greeting “Are you having fun?” The campground has a very friendly atmosphere.
    After breakfast we left to have a look around the southern section of the mid-NSW coast. First stop was the popular tourist location of Crescent Head about 25 mins away. It’s still the school holidays so lots of people around. Many of them were forming a long queue outside and down along the road from the entrance of the award-winning Barnetts Bakery & Cafe. So we hopped onto that line and eventually enjoyed a very nice cappuccino.
    We then drove to our main attraction for the day - the city of Port Macquarie. We have been here before and liked it a lot so we wanted to see more of it. The weather was overcast which was a pity because the blue water was a grey colour and the views from the lookouts not as good. A visit to the Koala Hospital viewing a number of poor animals that had been hit by cars or mauled by dogs, but all were recovering well and very cute.
    We then revisited the boardwalk are along the main estuary where the council has allowed people to paint the rocks along the walkway. Many of these are very nice and add a nice tone and entertainment to the walk. It is right opposite one of the main caravan parks. Our favourite was the green and white picture of a caravan with the words “LIFE ROCKS WHEN YOUR HOME ROLLS”. A fitting slogan for the grey nomad culture!
    Some more shopping by Carolina (of course) and along the way we saw the shop that Gaz and Donna have set up - joking of course! Afterwards we headed back to our caravan in the late afternoon.
    It was a beautiful evening, cool but not cold, and clear skies. So it was campfire time while we cooked some spiced chicken in our air fryer, and of course for dessert enjoyed a few toasted marshmallows over the camp fire coals. A nice end to an enjoyable day.
    We have spent 3 nights in this campsite and toured around each day. It’s been very nice to relax at the same campsite each day. Tomorrow that changes as we start a week of travelling each day as we head west towards South Australia.
    Read more