Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 19

    Our Friends join Us!

    May 5, 2023 in Australia ⋅ ☁️ 14 °C

    It was sleep-in time today. With a journey ahead of only approx 80km there was no need to get up early. So we leisurely packed up, took a photo of the Pichi Richi railway line above our campsite, and hit the road around 10am.
    Our goal was to decide where we would be staying tonight and to let our friends Mark and Sue know so they could join us. There were two options - the Spear Creek Holiday Park, and Hancock’s Lookout. The first was a caravan park, the second was a free camp.
    First stop was the Spear Creek Holiday Park. Located near the foot of Mount Brown in the southern Flinders Ranges it has a nice bush atmosphere. However the coffee shop had already closed!! They advised us they were fully booked tonight. Problem solved!!
    The second option was a free camp on the top of Hancock’s Lookout on the northern end of the Mount Remarkable Range. This turned out to have a fantastic view over the Spencer Gulf! Decision made!
    So we settled in and waited for Mark & Sue to arrive. The afternoon was then spent with them over a few wines and a nice chat all the while taking in the vista we had in front of us. It was nice to see them again as they start a 5-month caravan trip up to the Kimberley’s and back.
    Dinner was rudely interrupted by the passing through of a rain storm which upset our outdoor eating plans, but afterwards we were all able to go back outside and drink a few glasses of Glayva around a warm camp fire. A nice end to a relaxing day with friends.
    Read more