Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 25

    Stonehenge revisited

    May 11, 2023 in Australia ⋅ ☁️ 15 °C

    Today was a relatively short day of around 250km as we headed further west towards Streaky Bay. Great weather but a cool wind that added a chill factor when exposed to it. Along the way we had a look at Kiana and then stopped in Elliston for a coffee. Elliston had a some more street mural paintings on some of the buildings which is becoming popular in small towns.
    Beyond Ellison we stopped at a farm bakery alongside the road who make bread and rolls everyday and put them in an honesty stall on the side of the road. You can take the bread and put the money into an honesty box.
    Then it was off to Venus Bay, a small village set among some lovely coastal scenery which until recently boasted only 20 residents. It now it has become popular and the population has risen to (wait for it) 169 people, and during the summer months all accommodation and caravan parks are fully booked out.
    A short distance beyond Venus Bay was our campsite for the night at a free camp called Murphy’s Haystacks, and what an interesting place this turned out to be! Stonehenge revisited - the area has some amazing large stone rocks, pillars, and boulders reminiscent of Stonehenge and a smaller version of The Olgas. Three sets of these rocks are in the area all of which are only about 10 mins walk from the campsite. During the early days of horse-driven coaches taking people out this way, these stones became known as The Haystacks. Amazing stone formations overlooking the surrounding plains and farmland. Despite being very unusual which you would think would make the stones important to the early aboriginals, it was surprising that there were no aboriginal paintings on any of the rocks. We spent about an hour wandering amongst these amazing rock structures. Very different and very interesting!!
    Returning to the campsite it was time to prepare for the campfire, something we have not been able to use for the last few days while staying at a caravan park. Lots of firewood was around, so with fish, salad, pumpkin, & mashed potato on the menu, we settled in for a very pleasant dinner and fire. The sun set and stars came out as we talked for a long time around a very good large and warm fire.
    Tonight was our last with Mark & Sue as they head further west while we start heading back east tomorrow. We will miss their company. The four of us have had a very nice time together over the last week and hopefully we can all do a similar trip together another time. All the best to them as they continue their journey to Broome.
    Read more