Satellite
Afficher sur la carte
  • Jour 34

    Pizza & Our Last Night

    20 mai 2023, Australie ⋅ ☀️ 16 °C

    Today is the penultimate day of our trip and it started with an OAT of 2 degrees! Clear sunny skies and no wind, but 2 degrees still tests our resolve. Fortunately the caravan remained warm and we lashed out by having bacon and eggs for breakfast. Delicious!
    Our next destination lies 350km to east in the small town of Quinalow, and why you ask is this town so important to us? Well Carolina decided our last night should be celebrated over a pub dinner so we looked up WikiCamps to see which pubs have a free camp in the general area and the Quinalow Pub came up with good references and was about the right travel distance for us.
    So we braved the cold and got underway around 9am. As soon as we left St George we lost GSM phone signal despite our GSM booster and this made us feel we were still in the outback. Our Cel-fi Go GSM booster in the car has been fantastic and we have had phone coverage for virtually all of our trip which is amazing considering some of the remote areas we have been. However today we lost coverage for a lot of the way to our first stop 200km down the road at the wonderful location of - Moonie! We know all about this place because on our last trip we stayed here on our last night at the free camp behind the hotel. It’s nothing flash and is probably best avoided unless no other options exist. But today Moonie provided the first chance of the day to get an en route cappuccino.
    Then it was onwards towards Dalby and then Quinalow.
    And we then experienced the big disappointment of the day for Carolina. Dalby is a fairly large town of some 15,000 people and CK has been waiting to get there to see the shops. However it’s Saturday and we arrived at 1:30pm, and to her disappointment Carolina discovered the shops close at 12:30pm on Saturdays. The screams of anguish were probably heard in Noosa. So after desperate attempts to find a shop still open we finally headed off from Dalby around 2:30pm for the last 50km to Quinalow.
    We didn’t really know what to expect there. We knew there is a small free camp opposite the hotel and when we arrived we were very pleasantly surprised that it was quite a scenic campsite. Very nice trees and several large flat grass areas suitable for about 10 caravans. We set ourselves up in a nice area with nice views for our last night on the road and as the sun set we had the last of our sparkling rosé sitting outside while we reminisced about our trip.
    Quinalow Pub has a reputation - it is famous for it’s pizza with the Quinalow Special Pizza being its most well known. So we really had no choice except to try the house specialty especially since pizza is one of Carolina’s favourite dishes. And it lived up to its reputation! Simply put, large & delicious! A very nice casual dinner to help celebrate the last night of our trip.
    En savoir plus