Satellite
  • Day 24

    Busy doing nothing!

    November 4, 2019 in New Zealand ⋅ ☁️ 21 °C

    After a busy week Wanaka gave us an ideal opportunity to relax and catch our breath for three days. Our hotel is about a twenty minute walk along the lake into the town. We have a comfortable, spacious room with a balcony overlooking the lake.
    Yesterday, Sunday, we woke up a bit later than normal having watched the rugby the night before that didn’t finish until after midnight here. We had our walking boots on today walking all around the town and other walks around the lake. One of the principal photo opportunities here is the tree in the lake, quite strange, photo below. We also found the local golf club for I planned to play Monday morning. All in all we walked for over ten miles.
    The hotel seems to be the largest in the area and in a prominent position making it an ideal venue for weddings of which there were both Saturday and Sunday. On Sunday we were sitting outside in the garden with the wedding going on behind us when a helicopter flew in over the lake and landed close by the other side of the hotel. Bit strange we thought, maybe a late arrival? A few minutes later it took off again and w thought little more about it until about forty minutes later when we had decided to stroll along the lake away from the town and the helicopter appeared again and landed about fifty yards away from us and out stepped the bride and groom who had been whisked away after the service to have photographs taken in some other location!
    This morning I was up early on two counts, to find out how Leicester had gone on against Crystal Palace (won 2-0, sorry Nigel though it’s about time we beat them) and to play golf at Wanaka golf club which was most enjoyable. A friendly club and an attractive course with some spectacular views over the lake and to the mountains beyond.
    We continue to be fortunate with the weather, apparently it is a lot hotter than normal for the time of year.
    We feel nice and refreshed now and ready for the next instalment which is a four hour drive tomorrow down to Te Anau which is in the south West of the South Island which is the furthest point we go and according to the ever reliable Google is a mere 11,733 miles from London.
    Read more