Satellite
  • Day 34

    Wombat Tour Part 2

    November 14, 2019 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 21 °C

    Sarah picked us up from our hotel at 9am and we drove the Bridge heading for the Northern Beaches. It was interesting driving through the Sydney suburbs seeing where Sarah lives and on out to Palm Beach which is quite wonderful. A narrow strip of land with water either side. We had coffee where, so I am reliably informed, Home and Away is filmed!. We walked along a gorgeous beach with the clear water lapping the shore then a walk up to the lighthouse which gave us stunning views. The coast on the other side to where we had coffee is very different as it is open to the ocean and therefore good for surfing. Started to meander our way back but stopped again in Palm Beach to see the outdoor pool. There are many of these around Sydney, the majority of which are free to use.
    I can’t think of anywhere in the world where there is such a proliferation of beautiful sandy beaches all along the coastline. We stopped for lunch at Newport at a pub that Sarah knows well. The pub garden overlooks the beach, a perfect spot.
    Drove on a bit further towards Manly and to North Head from where we can look across to South Head where we were on Monday. Between the two Heads is the entrance to the Harbour from the Pacific.
    Sarah drove us back to the outskirts of Manly where we said our farewells as she had to go to work. We have been enormously grateful to Sarah for we have seen areas of this great city that we would never have done on our own.
    We caught the ferry back to the city for I had booked an early dinner at Doyle’s a fish restaurant at Watson’s Bay. Unfortunately on checking the ferry times the last ferry there was 4:10 so that ruled it out.
    We leave Sydney in the morning for Hong Kong. We shall miss Sydney and fully intend to return one day.
    Read more