Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 13

    Machu Picchu

    October 23, 2023 in Peru ⋅ ☁️ 22 °C

    Yesterday, Sunday, was our first quiet, relaxing day. After a leisurely breakfast we wandered into Ollantaytambo which has been maintained as a typical Inca town with narrow, cobbled side streets laid out in a grid formation. It is a funny little town with not a lot to commend it. It’s main purpose these days is a stepping off point to take the train to and from Machu Picchu.
    Lunch however was a real treat. Tom, through his contacts at AudleyTravel, had organised lunch at a local restaurant located virtually on the station platform. We arrived at 12 noon and along with four others, two ladies from Montana and a couple from Calgary, initially had a tour of their garden and vegetable area. Everything here is grown organically. They also have a pen for guinea pigs which are eaten a lot in Peru and lambs.
    Lunch was a pachamanca. This involved a hole in the ground to which were added hot coals, then a pineapple, potatoes (there are 6000 different varieties in Peru), pieces of chicken, pork and lamb, more hot coals then all covered with cabbage leaves. On top of this was placed tarpaulin and soil to completely enclose the food cooking beneath. The cooking time was around 15 minutes during which time we were shown another area where they blend coffee.
    Lunch was excellent, and so much of it - a truly unique experience.
    After lunch we saw their distillery and did some tasting of the local hooch before wandering around the garden which also included a primary school.
    In the evening, not being very hungry (surprise) we wandered back into Ollantaytambo for drinks and tacos and were joined at a bar by a couple from California who were travelling around Peru very much on the hoof booking hotels and transport as they went. Interesting couple to talk to, very much Bible bashers!

    Today was an early start to catch the 7.45 train for the 90 minute journey to Machu Picchu. This was in a vistadome train. It was a spectacular journey alongside the Urubamba river. The vegetation got more lush and jungle like as we neared Machu Picchu and the Aquas Calientes station. We were met by an employee from the Sanctuary Lodge hotel who took our luggage directly to the hotel. We met up with our guide Walter who took us to the bus queue. It is a 30 minute bus journey up very winding roads to the entrance to Machu Picchu.

    We thought we were going to be in a group but had the guide to ourselves. He was excellent. There was no rush and lots of photo stops. The ruins are amazing but the surrounding countryside is more impressive with all the mountains and steep peaks. Very magical.

    After about 2 1/2 hours we arrived at the exit to the site and our hotel which is the only hotel adjacent to Machu Picchu, all the others are down in the town near the station. A welcome sight as it was very hot but not humid. We said farewell to Walter and went into the hotel to be greeted with a welcome drink and the news our room had been upgraded. Result. Our stay here is all inclusive so we had a lovely lunch and drinks prior to seeing our room. Whilst eating lunch we watched the hummingbirds flying around just outside the window. The views here are amazing and it is so lovely to relax on our terrace looking at mountains.

    It is currently pouring with rain and some thunder. There are complimentary raincoats in the room as this is normal for this area. You usually have very hot sunshine in the morning followed by rain in the afternoon. Also you have to beware of sandflies and mosquitoes.
    Read more