Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 13

    Farewell Peru, it’s been great….

    October 23, 2023 in Peru ⋅ ☁️ 21 °C

    Our hotel, Sanctuary Lodge, is extremely comfortable and is right next to the entrance to Machu Picchu the only hotel so close. To get to Machu Picchu you have to take a thirty minute bus ride up the steep, zig zag road from the town below where there are many hotels and restaurants. The hotel is not full, it has just 31 rooms and probably only around 10 are occupied. In the bar prior to dinner we met up with another English couple from Preston. They were travelling on from here to the Galápagos Islands on a Silverseas cruise.
    This morning we were up early to go again into Machu Picchu, this time without a guide. Whilst it is high up it is in fact lower than Lake Titicaca and Cusco and thankfully we are still coping well with the altitude.
    We are booked on the 1:37 train back to Ollantaytambo where our guide Alejandro is there to meet us and drive us back to Cusco, a ninety minute drive.
    This is our final night in Peru for we are on the 8:10 flight in the morning down to Santiago.
    We have been hugely impressed with Peru. The people and food are wonderful. The sights we have seen such as Lake Titicaca, Machu Picchu, condors, great cities such as Arequipa and Cusco have all been underpinned by the magnificent Andes which we look forward to seeing more of in Chile.
    Read more