Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 1

    Arriving in Hong Kong

    March 6, 2009 in Hong Kong ⋅ ⛅ 13 °C

    Our day started really early, 5:55am departure from Brisbane that meant that we had to leave Gold Coast at 3:30am. First we had a domestic flight to Sydney and then transferred to the international terminal.

    12:00 and we are ready to take off for our 10 hr trip to Hong Kong. The flight was normal, just noticed that 80% of the passengers were Asians, no surprises at all. We sat next to the kitchenette and that was a problem because people didn't stop coming around to get instant noodles and that really kept me hungry, when I finally decided to get some noodles myself the in flight dinner arrived.

    6pm HK time and we touched down, getting through customs was relatively easy and then our first glance to HK modernity, the airport express train: really comfortable, reliable and took us to our destination in less than 20 minutes from the airport. I just noticed that most of the passengers in the train were foreigners either tourist of businessmen, we sat next to a girl that happened to be a Spanish fashion designer for example.

    We left the train at Kowloon station and considering how tired we were, decided to grab a cab instead of using the bus shuttle service. No problems finding a taxi the drama was communicating with the driver, he didn't speak English at all, luckily I had grabbed a tourist map from the airport with location shown in both English and Chinese (Mandarin or Cantonese I couldn't tell but it worked with our driver)

    We registered at the hotel (Metro Park Mongkok) and got a discount voucher for dinner and breakfast so we wasted no time and headed to the restaurant to get something to eat. The food was different to anything we tried back in OZ land or South America, which are more Cantonese style, anyway it was good for our empty stomachs.

    Time to have a rest ..........
    Read more