Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 6

    Queenstown

    April 26, 2011 in New Zealand ⋅ ☀️ 8 °C

    Weather forecast: perfectly fine.

    Following our routine in the morning, we were ready to take on Queenstown. After a short stroll we got to the base of the Gondola, just next to it there is the Kiwi Birdlife park, here you can have close encounter with Kiwis and other birds from the region. We decided to skip Kiwis this time and went straight to the Gondola.

    We bought a combo ticket that included 7 Luge rides, that was going to keep little Ximena excited. Climbing up on the Gondola is quite relaxing and offers really good views of town. Once at the top the complex awaits you with a really good souvenir shop and a restaurant. Outside the platform view offers astonishing views of Queenstown, Lake Wakatipu and the remarkables, the views in winter must be even better.

    From here we caught the chairlift to access the Luge which is located on higher ground. The luge is great for kids and really safe we did it like 3 times with the pre-purchased tickets at the base but there is also the chance to get tickets up there.

    Back in the main complex there is a track down the hill that takes up to the Bungy Jumpy platform and the decking view, one cannot stop staring at the adrenalin maniacs projecting themselves out of the platform............yes we definitely are in the "Adventure Capital of the world"

    We (intentionally) missed the Hacka show (not really into this), had lunch and rode the Gondola back to town. We spent the afternoon strolling around the lake esplanade where there are plenty of restaurants, souvenir shops and art galleries.

    Shotover Street is lined up with tourist agencies, take away food restaurants and shops selling all sort of adventure equipment. This is definitely the start point to book and adventure tour. We probably needed an extra day to get in one of the Kawaru jet experiences or a lake cruise, maybe next time.

    Back in the lake esplanade we headed to the pier where the jet boats leave for the Kawaru river ride, of course we didn't have time to do it (Ximena was complaining, she is simply becoming an adrenalin girl) so we went instead to the underwater viewing platform while relaxing a bit our sore feet, here there is a nice view of all the wildlife activity in the water.

    Time to look for a place for dinner, we ended up at an Italian restaurant in Ballarat st, there are plenty of choices in this boulevard actually.

    On the way back to the Motel, we stopped at the supermarket to get some stuff for tomorrow, yes on Wednesday we were heading to Milford Sound
    Read more