Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 31

    El Caminito

    January 6, 2015 in Argentina ⋅ ⛅ 26 °C

    It didn't take long to get used to the 2-hours difference in time considering the lightning that woke me up at 5:00am , anyway this and the intermittent rain didn't manage to spoil our day.

    After a light breakfast at the hotel we explored "La Recoleta" district ' first was the mall, just to get some cash, then we went for a walk at the cemetery for a close encounter with the dead and the living too considering the hundred of tourist that came by bus.

    When the rain started, around 11 am we stopped at MaCcas and had lunch and then back to the hotel.

    As promised , the tour operator picked us up at 2:30 pm and dropped at the "Floralis Generic" where we waited for the much bigger bus that was going to take us to the city tour. Good photo opportunity with this impressive monument.

    The tour bus took us first around Palermo and all the embassies and beautiful parks, then along the wide "Avenida 9 de Julio" and the Obelix, through bohemian San Telmo and then to our first stop at "La Bombonera" stadium, house of "Club Atletico Boca Juniors" one of the most emblematic football teams in South America.

    After getting some photos and mementos, the next stop was the iconic "Caminito" and its colourful houses. Here we first visited a small museum that shows how the early Italian settlers lived, had time to observe a couple dancing Tango and did more shopping.

    On the way back we passed by Puerto Madero, our subject for tomorrow's visit and then Plaza the Mayo where the presidential palace or "Casa Rosada" is the centrepiece. At the other end of the square we found the modest building of the "Cabildo", one the first buildings of this city and also the Cathedral.

    Plaza the Mayo was our last stop of this quick introduction to BsAs.
    Read more