Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 3

    Day 3: Ulaman -> Ubud

    July 1, 2022 in Indonesia ⋅ 🌧 24 °C

    Day 3 started again with morning yoga at 8. We then signed up to the nature workout straight after, not knowing it would actually be a run to the local village and back!! We HATE running. We did however make it round and thankfully in the end it wasn’t that far! Along the way, Coin took us to see the locals wood carving, showed us where the school was and talked to us about the village culture and how every house has its own temple.

    Once we were back he gave us a tour of the extension being built at the resort which is going to be incredible - it comes with its own lake with “romantic boat”, hammocks and an amazing new spa all made with eco materials. Next was breakfast…we had the same as yesterday as it went down so well. Then it was back to the room to pack before having our 45 minute complimentary massage in the “treehouse spa” before check out - annoyingly they got confused and ended up giving us a 1 hour massage and charged us for it! We didn’t like to say anything so just payed up!

    Our taxi to Ubud went smoothly taking around 30 minutes and we checked into our next hotel. Unsurprisingly our £14 a night hotel did not live up to our Ulaman expectations. There was definitely a smell of damp and rubbish had been left in one of the draws…oh and a casual nail clipping to boot. Questioning our life choices we headed straight out for some lunch at the Lazy Cat Cafe. The food here was delicious. It was a vegetarian restaurant and we had battered broccoli with BBQ dip, hummus panini (with many more fillings) and some kind of a rice bowl - way more exciting that I’m making it sound.

    All was good until a sudden “FUCK” arose from Sam…he had left Kim’s GoPro in the back of the taxi! As the resort had booked our transfer we had to get back in contact with them to contact the driver. Thankfully they were very efficient and managed to get it sorted rapidly. However whilst we were off wondering the streets of Ubud without any internet the driver was waiting for us outside our hotel! After 2 hours he eventually gave it to the receptionist. We felt terrible for the rest of the day 😖 - never to be spoken of again!!

    We had a general explore of the main streets and wondered past the palace to the Ubud markets. Unfortunately these turned out to be not quite as expected as they had been demolished! There were however people lining the streets next to the building site which we named “hecklers way”.

    We finished the day with dinner in our local street looking over a field so Sam could listen to the crickets 🦗 - I had a green curry and Sam had chicken, chips and veg (Balinese style). We grabbed some Gelato on our way back and stayed to talk to the owner briefly - turns out she has a bank account in the Isle of Man 😄

    Early night back at our stinking abode, yay.
    Read more