Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 20 - Pompeii

    July 29, 2023 in Italy ⋅ ☀️ 29 °C

    Today we had breakfast at the hotel, checked out and got given two lemons to take with us from the owner (apparently good with salt & Vinegar)
    We then made our way to the ferry to catch it to Salerno to catch our train to Pompeii.

    Once in Pompeii, I had forgot to ask about the bus ticket for transfer to Pompeii site, so instead of dealing with everyone asking if we wanted a taxi or a good deal, we opted to walk 16 minutes.

    Once at Pompeii site, we grabbed a quick lunch and then headed in. We didn’t want to get to in-depth with it so I had downloaded the Rick Steve’s podcast tour of Pompeii.
    This took us to the highlights of Pompeii.
    When walking around it is amazing to see the stepping rocks they used when the streets flooded & that the stepping stones still fitted a cart through them when not flooded. I was expecting Mt Vesuvius to be a lot bigger seeing the destruction it caused, It was pointed out in the tour that if you draw a triangle between the two points left now, this would of been height of it before the eruption. The people of Pompeii had 7 days of grumbling from the mountain before it erupted but they were still shocked what was happening!

    It was fascinating to see the flour mills, paintings, mosaic tiles and plenty of other areas so intact after such eruption. One thing I found hilarious that was still in tact, was the paintings on the brothel walls that acted as a menu for the patrons back in the day! Also a guide explaining to another person outside what the building was was hilarious to listen into.

    We spent nearly 4 hours there and we were done from walking so much in the stone & the heat!

    We then caught the train to Naples.
    Once at our BnB, this is the only city so far we have second guessed all decisions of coming to such a city. A lot of rubbish in the streets and it was busy! We both just couldn’t get into the vibe of it.
    We had dinner close to the BnB & headed back and watched some Netflix for the evening instead of venturing out.
    Read more