Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 3

    Edinburgh Day 3

    September 22, 2023 in Scotland ⋅ ☁️ 15 °C

    This day was heart felt. My father passed away 55 years ago today. He was so proud of his Scots-Presbyterian heritage. We went to Giles Cathedral, where John Knox was the minister. His preaching, rooted in the reformation movement, established the Church or Scotland- Presbyterian Church. Walking through the chapel, I felt the waves of our ancestors that moved to England (the Camps), Ireland (the Fees and Currans), and on to American. Rejecting the heiracrchy of the Catholic church, Knox believed the local congregation should elect elders to govern their own community. This belief of local rule also impacted the growth of democracy. So today, I remember my father and our families embracing the power of the local voice.

    We then walked up another of the hills to a lookout with a sweet garden. In the afternoon, we did an underground tour of Mary Kings Close. The term "close" means alley, but in the day, it's where merchants, waste water, travelers bustled through. They built government buildings over this close, leaving the remains of a former time! The best news is as we were waiting for the tour, my suitcase showed up! The delivery guy found us on the street - happy happy me.
    Read more